Friday, October 31, 2014

B&W LCR 60 vs LCR 600 vs HTM 62 vs HTM 61

Comparing the B&W lcr 60 to lcr 600 & to the HTM6xs

For the purposes of this comparison, we are assessing speakers for their centre channel performance, & not so much as a full range front or centre. The LCR was designed to be used in either config, but I doubt that actually worked for B&W the way they expected...

Findings:

The LCR600 is an amazing speaker, compared to the LCR60.

The smaller LCR60 impressed me in its versatility, but not so much in its overall vocal depth.

The LCR 600 blew me away, & reminded me of the HTM61
The 61 has more presence, but the 600 is what the 60 should have been I think.

The LCR60 & 600 are both very big for what they are.
But the 600 makes it at least worth while.

The LCR 600s vocals are amazing.
It is not as muddy as the other speakers of the older designs.
The only thing it lacks is a bit of low level extension, which the HTM62 in particular excels at.
The 62 though doesn't have the openness that the 61 has.

The 600 thus seems like a lovely compromise between 62 & 61.

If you cant afford the HTM61, get the LCR600 over the HTM62 would be my opinion overall.
(we're referring to S1 which doesn't have any series number written on it, not talking about the not the newer HTM61 S2)

But if size matters & hifi audio is the only thing you do, the HTM62 gets the slight upper hand.
But for movies, the LCR definitely clearer for dialogue.

Price wise, LCR600 wins again as it will be cheaper.
If you have been considering a LCR60 & have the option of paying just a bit extra/got a bit of room for a LCR600, I cant recommend that enough.

After listening to the 600, Id go so far as to say that you scratch the 60 out of the equation completely & focus on HTM62 vs LCR600 as your final contenders, or go straight to a HTM61.
On a very tight budget & if looking for a dedicated centre, a B&W CC6 would be my preference cost wise & size wise.

I have high hopes from the HTM61 S2 vs CMC2 - I think thatll be a great battle. I'll audition that someday & report on it :)
Until then, happy listening folks.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I have cc3, and i'm disappointed with it's tonal balance and sharp highs. I've now ordered both the LCR60 and LCR600 to compare and to choose from.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your experiences, thoughts, comments or any feedback you may have. Thanks